When Audio PA Is Not Enough
Audio PA alone isn’t enough to effectively convey information to those who need it in emergency situations. For example, in the recent tragic events at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, one of the first acts done by the shooter was to pull the fire alarm, which caused many students and teachers to believe that there was a fire drill and leave their classrooms before a code red lockdown could be enacted. Fire alarms, by design, are extremely loud – the alarm could effectively nullify any attempt to communicate via audio PA. In addition, many types of emergencies could render a substantial portion of the victims at least temporarily deaf, also rendering audio communications futile. Therefore, audiovisual PA becomes essential. The text reinforcement of the audio message ensures that the message is received.
Key Features & Benefits
- Protect students with combined audio and visual active shooter alerting
- Respond quickly and efficiently to lockdowns and other emergencies
- Initiate alerts with wireless panic buttons
- Grab attention with scrolling computer pop-up instant messaging
- Reach more people with AudioVisual PA
- Use LCDs in classrooms for announcements, emergencies, and more
- Observe students and improve surveillance with cameras in classrooms
- Send live video feed to police and emergency responders
- Customize mass notifications to police & parents
Save Lives with SEMS
Because of the prevalence of bullying and violent incidents, such as Parkland and Sandy Hook, it is vital that schools have fast and efficient emergency communications to save lives. No single technology can meet all of the communication needs, whether emergency or everyday, of schools. Thus, MessageNet’s SEMS mass notification system combines many different customizable, ADA-compliant technologies to better fit the unique needs of each school.
Because SEMS is not only an emergency mass notification system, it can also be used for everyday communications, such as bell schedules and morning announcements. SEMS can also serve as a valuable teaching tool. While SEMS has some core, recommended features, it is easily tailored for each schools specific needs.